Common Searches



Adding Courses

Students may add courses without administrative approval through the "official last day to enroll" via MyView, or in person. To view the official last day to enroll, visit the semester calendar page.

For help adding courses, view the following instructions - Adding a Course in MyGateway Or Adding a Course In MyView

After the "official last day to enroll" students will be required to obtain the necessary signatures.  Please reference the signature sheets for the appropriate session found on the Semester Calendar Page

Use Schedule Planner to find your ideal schedule. For a tutorial click below.


If you are a Cross Campus Enrollment student in the UM-System, visit our Cross Campus Enrollment page.

Determining Enrollment Periods

Currently Enrolled Students - Students who are enrolled for the current semester will receive an enrollment date via email indicating when they can begin to add classes for the future semester. This date is also viewable in their MyView Student Center. Enrollment dates are assigned based on academic career, projected academic level for the term enrolling, and cumulative units completed.  Pre-Registration begins in mid-March for Fall and mid-October for Spring.  

New Students - Students who are new to UMSL can register during the open registration period. Open registration begins at the end of March for Fall and the end of October for Spring. All new degree-seeking students must see an advisor before registering for classes. Your advisor will give you a copy of your degree audit (DARS) report. 

All students are encouraged to enroll at the first date of eligibility as classes fill up fast.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Option

To submit a request to change your grading basis, log into MyGateway and select the appropriate tile. 

For assistance, please follow these instructions.

Policy on Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading Option based on the University Bulletin:

Undergraduate students may take up to 18 credit hours on a satisfactory/ unsatisfactory (S/U) grading basis. This includes courses taken as electives or those that satisfy general education requirements. Most courses required for a specific degree may not be taken on a satisfactory/ unsatisfactory basis. Academic departments may designate other courses within their jurisdiction that may not be taken under the option.

A satisfactory grade “S” is recorded when an instructor assigns the grade of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C or C-, and has no numerical value in computing students' cumulative grade point average; however, it does satisfy credit-hour-for graduation requirements. An unsatisfactory grade “U” is recorded when an instructor assigns the grades of D+, D, D-, or F. A course assigned a “U” grade will not satisfy credit hours for graduation. Grades will be recorded on transcripts as S or U

Students register for courses in the normal manner and may exercise the satisfactory/unsatisfactory option before the end of the first four weeks of a regular semester (or the first two weeks of a summer session). Requests for this option are made through the appropriate dean's office. Instructors are not informed of students taking courses on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis until submitting course grades.


Dropping Courses

No student may cease attendance without formally withdrawing or dropping courses after classes begin. 

Students may drop courses in MyView or in person without receiving a grade through the fourth week of classes of a sixteen-week semester, the second week of classes of an eight-week session and the first week of classes of a four-week session. Students with specific academic holds may be required to obtain approval from their advisor to change their schedule.  

From the 5th week to the end of the 8th week of a sixteen-week semester, and the 3rd week to the end of the 4th week of an eight-week session, students may continue to drop courses in MyView without instructor approval. A grade of “EX” (excused) will be issued on the transcript. Refer to the semester calendar for summer or winter session withdrawal deadlines.

From the 9th week to the end of the 12th week of the sixteen-week session and the 5th week to the end of the 6th week of an eight-week session, dropping courses will require instructor approval. Students may request approval to drop classes using the online form in MyGateway.  This will initiate the request to drop  and submit it to the instructor and any other offices where approval is needed. See the semester calendar for the official last day to drop.

Students dropping a class can check the Fee Reassessment Chart to determine any change in tuition.

For help dropping classes, view the following instructions - Dropping a Course in MyGateway Or Dropping a Course in MyView

Withdrawing for the Semester

After enrolling in classes, degree seeking students who choose to withdraw for the semester are required to complete the necessary procedures to officially withdraw from their courses.  This includes but is not limited to the withdrawal request. An email notification will be sent to the student when the request has been completed.

Non-degree seeking students are not required to complete the withdrawal request but are required to officially drop their courses using the appropriate method based on the semester calendar and drop instructions.

Students should drop all but one of their courses in MyView>Self-Service through the eighth week of the semester.  From the fifth through the eighth week a grade of EX will automatically be assigned, Students will then be directed to complete a withdraw request. Once the request is verified by the Registrar’s Office, the student will be dropped from their last course using the date the request was submitted.

From the ninth through the twelfth week of the semester, students are required to submit their request to drop via the online form in MyGateway which will route their request(s) to the instructor(s) for approval. A grade of EXF or EX is issued based on whether the student is passing or failing at that time. Students are required to submit their request to drop in addition to the withdrawal request.

After this period, instructor and dean approval is required and will be routed accordingly via the online form. Additional documentation may be required of the student if they request to withdrawal after the eighth week.

For 8 Week Session courses, visit the 8 Week Semester Calendar on the Registrar’s Website for necessary approvals. 

For more information, please see the General Regulations in the Bulletin.